2910 Baltimore Ave, Ocean City, MD 21842, USA

This was a family reunion, we had a family member tragically pass recently and we were going to celebrate their life of achievements this week as we vacation this week every year anyway. We were traveling with an infant because the parents were too distraught to travel. We live in Sparrows Point, Md. and traveled about three hours or 150 miles to Ocean City, Md. When I first arrived at the EconoLodge, I could smell marijuana, and the two fellows at the desk were definitely under the influence of something. I am a retired law enforcement officer and can smell *** a mile away. I spoke to the manager (Donnie) and he was absolutely unapologetic while telling me my reservations were cancelled 12 hours earlier. I made my reservation in March ( 4 months earlier) and was told to pay upon my arrival. We have made reservations like this for several years in a row at a Quality Inn down the street without any issues. Our favorite spot (that Quality Inn) is now owned by Hilton and it is $2000, more each week making it over $4000, to stay there and they were completely booked. We were horrified to find nothing available for several miles because there is a White Marlin tournament this week.

We later went to the Ocean City travel center to ask for help and found that some of the hotel chains were creating false errors in discounted reservations so they could cancel them and could book full rate paying customers. Unfortunately they also informed us that it is nearly impossible to book anywhere this week due to the White Marlin contest. After chatting on Facebook, we found that indeed some chains are changing credit card expiration dates to create transaction failures and they can then CANCEL YOUR RESERVATION. This celebration of a loved ones live has been turned into a second nightmare thanks to Econo Lodge and Choice Hotels for cancelling our reservation without contacting us at all. We, unfortunately traveled back to Sparrows Point, Md. that night.

Keep in mind we were in touch with Choice Hotels the entire time and although we've always booked through them, we sat in the EconoLodge parking lot on the phone with them, they were absolutely ZERO help to us and explained each chain is independent. The young lady on the phone at Choice Hotels sat silent with no answers for us until we hung up.

If you could take a moment to review the Choice Hotels feedback for this hotel you'll clearly see this wise guy of a manager just cuts and pastes the identical pre-manufactured BS response to every negative write up. This is obviously a horrible situation for customers made worse by Choice Hotels failing to look at these negative reviews and protect their so-called valued customers.

Reason of review: Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy.

Monetary Loss: $1985.